Free yourself from breast discomfort with a tiny scar. Not only can you enjoy proportionally perfect breasts but you also reduce the risk of breast cancer.
Breast Reduction (Mammoplasty)
Breast Reduction surgery is aimed at reducing the breast volume to achieve an ideal breast shape.
The procedure is always performed under general anaesthesia and can take up to 2 hours to complete. Scars are visible but partially hidden on the underside of the breast and over time will fade significantly.
The process of lifting the breast to achieve the ideal shape will often involve making two incisions, one beneath the breast, and one extending to the edge of the nipple (areola) creating and inverted T shape. Most patient undergoing Breast Reduction will be expected to return home the same day.
Who can benefit from Breast Reduction?
Mammoplasty is often performed on people who are unhappy with their breast size. This can be due to sagging or size (causing backache or discomfort) or aesthetics where the breasts are no longer proportional to the body size or shape (possibly following weight loss).
Many patients seeking breast reduction suffer from pain and discomfort associated with back pain (due to the weight and position of the breast) or due to excessive rubbing or pinching of the skin when using bras.
Whatever the cause, the correct breast reduction surgery can restore confidence (through appearance) and increase comfort enabling the patient to enjoy day to day life much more.
How is the operation performed?
The surgery involves the removal of excess tissue and skin enabling Dr Tiryaki to create the ideal size and shape. The process of reshaping the breast not only reduces the size of the breast, but also lifts the breast into the ideal position that is symmetrical and in proportion to the body shape and type.
Guidelines for surgery
The following guidelines apply for all types of surgery
- Use of all blood thinners should be stopped (under guidance from Dr Tiryaki)
- Smoking should stop from the date of the operation until 10-14 days after the treatment. Any activities that will increase blood pressure should also be halted.
- You will be able to return home on the day of your surgery
- This surgery is performed under general anaesthetic
- Some scarring underneath the breast is to be expected, over time this scars become much less visible and are hidden beneath the fold of the breast. If a vertical incision is required, this will be more visible, but gradually fade.
- Any post-operative pain felt is usually mild and can be managed using simple painkillers. Any discomfort should subside within a few days.
- Patients can begin to shower after 2-3 three days (once the initial dressings have been removed)
- Some bruising and oedema is to be expected
- A support or sports bra will need to be worn for at least three weeks after surgery, and Dr Tiryaki will advise the patient of the most suitable type
- As the functionality of the breast is not changed in any way, future pregnancies and therefore breastfeeding is not interfered with in any way.
- This surgery can take up to 2 hours to perform
- The outcome of this surgery is considered permanent and the full results can usually be seen 3 months after surgery. A healthy weight should be maintained in order to retain the aesthetic shape created.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the main factors to be considered before a breast reduction surgery?
We always recommend patients have a breast ultrasound before a breast augmentation operation. Patients should avoid using blood thinners such as aspirin and painkillers containing ibuprofen and flu medicine for at least one week before surgery. It is also recommended not to consume substances known as blood thinners such as Vitamin E ginseng, green tea, herbal teas and flax seeds. Patients should stop smoking at least one week before surgery.
What factors should be considered after breast reduction surgery?
We recommend use of sports bras for 3 weeks after breast reduction surgery. Mild pain can be experienced in the first days after the operation but this is easily controlled by simple painkillers.
Does breast reduction surgery prevent breastfeeding?
In breast reduction surgery the ducts are not disturbed because the nipples are not disconnected from the breasts. For this reason, unless there are special circumstances, the operation will not prevent breastfeeding.
Are the results of breast reduction surgery permanent?
It is possible to obtain permanent results in breast reduction operations. The shape of the chest sets fully in the 3 months after the surgery. In time, the form may naturally change with aging and gravity. For the best longterm results, patients should maintain a healthy weight and enjoy a healthy lifestyle.