For the most natural-looking nose to suit your face shape.
The aim of Rhinoplasty is to reshape the nose to perfectly suit the proportions of the face. The procedure is performed under general anaesthesia and takes approximately 45-90 minutes to perform.
The is a day surgery and the patient will be released to go home the same day.
This procedure will leave no scars and most patients describe the procedure and recovery as painless.
Initial plasters are removed after 1 week and a new, lighter dressing is applied for a further week.
Who is suitable for Rhinoplasty Surgery?
The Rhinoplasty procedure adjusts the structures or the bone and cartilage tissue and reshapes the tip of the nose. These changes improve the aesthetic harmony between the face and nose.
All of the changes described can be performed in a single procedure improving the both the aesthetic look and also the functionality of the nose as any breathing issues can be addressed at the same time.
How does the procedure work?
Depending on the shape of the nose Dr Tiryaki will determine the best way to restructure the nose for the best possible outcome. For example if the nose is wide, the bones might be narrowed a little and the nasal cartilages reshaped into an elegant shape that suits the face. If the nose is normal width the nose dorsum can be rasped to make the subtle changes required to create the perfect shape.
The key to creating the ideal nose shape for the patient’s face is the slimming of the “hump” on the dorsal of the nose (see image below). Dr Tiryaki will determine to what extent the nose is slimmed to ensure that a natural balance is achieved. The cartilaginous tissue at the tip of the nose is then slimmed and repositioned to achieve the ideal look.
Will I be able to how my nose will look when the procedure is complete?
Yes, Dr Tiryaki will use 3D photography during the consultation process to design a natural looking nose with you. You will be able to see the how you will look after surgery.
Guidelines for surgery
The following guidelines apply for all types of surgery
- Use of all blood thinners should be stopped (under guidance from Dr Tiryaki)
- Smoking should stop from the date of the operation until 10-14 days after the treatment. Any activities that will increase blood pressure should also be halted.
- You will be able to return home on the day of your surgery
- If you wear glasses you might not be able to wear them for up to three months after surgery
- The procedure itself is not a painful one, however, the silicone nasal splints might cause some discomfort for 1-2 days after the operation until they are removed
- Any impact on the nose should be avoided for at least 6 months, contact sports should ideally be stopped
- As the area of where the incisions are made is not visible there will be no visible scars from the procedure
- In order to be suitable for this surgery to be considered the patient’s facial bones must be fully developed (post puberty). This is usually 16 for a girl and a 17 for a boy.
- Any related oedema should have disappeared within 3-6 months and the nasal tissues should be fully healed within one year.
Frequently Asked Questions
As with all surgical procedures, patients must stop using blood thinners three weeks before the operation. To avoid problems during the healing period, smokers should abstain for 2 to 3 weeks prior to the operation. The doctor must be informed of any cold sores or acne on the nose beforehand.
After Rhinoplasty surgery, the patient may return home the same day and shower after a few hours of the operation. It is possible to wear glasses three months after the operation. It is totally safe to go out in sunlight after the bruises have disappeared, using high factor sunscreen, so a beach holiday would be acceptable 2 weeks after the operation. Special care should be taken to avoid any impact on the nose in the six months following the operation.
Rhinoplasty surgery is not a painful operation. Minimal discomfort will be felt due to silicone nasal splints which will pass after their removal 1 to 2 days after the operation. There should be no further pain.
This is one of the most frequently asked questions. The surgery is usually carried out through a small incision and the area where this incision is made is not visible, so there are no visible scars. The suture line disappears completely over time.
Rhinoplasty surgery can be carried out as soon as the facial bones are fully developed (i.e after puberty). For girls, it can be carried out after the age of 16, and 17 for boys. Any breathing problems can also be eliminated during the operation.
With old Rhinoplasty techniques, there used to be cases of drops, collapses or deformations at the tip of the nose. However, with the developing Rhinoplasty techniques, such complications are rarely seen. As long as the patient does not impact the tip of the nose, , during the healing period, there will be no drops or collapses.
The change in the appearance of the tip of the nose is visible right after the Rhinoplasty operation. When the plaster is removed in week 1, the change in the general appearance of the nose will be evident. Note however that the entire healing of the oedema takes 3 to 6 months. The tissues continue healing for 1 year after all the surgical procedures are completed.