Male Breast Reduction
Look masculine and feel confident again with a simple operation.
Male Breast Reduction (Gynecomastia)
Occasionally breast tissue and fat deposits in men can enlarge resulting in the appearance of male breasts. This is usually due to hormonal reasons (and very rarely due to male breast cancer) and in some cases this can happen for no apparent reason. Whatever the cause, the appearance of male breasts can negatively impact on self-esteem and self-confidence especially if the growth occurs during male adolescence.
Although there is no medical treatment for reducing the enlargement of this breast tissue, Gynecomastia is a simple operation that can be performed under either general anaesthetic or sedation and usually takes less than an hour to perform.
How is Gynecomastia surgery performed?
If the cause of the breast enlargement is due to localised fat tissue, then the procedure will be carried out using liposuction with fine cannulas (leaving no visible scars).
If the cause is due to excessive breast glands, the breast tissue will need to be removed using surgery. Dr Tiryaki will be able to advise the patient on the correct procedure for their condition.
Most importantly this is a simple surgery and the patient will be able to return to normal, everyday life quickly and with renewed confidence.
Guidelines for surgery
The following guidelines apply for all types of surgery
- Use of all blood thinners should be stopped (under guidance from Dr Tiryaki)
- Smoking should stop from the date of the operation until 10-14 days after the treatment. Any activities that will increase blood pressure should also be halted.
- You will be able to return home on the day of your surgery
- Dr Tiryaki will advise you on the type of anaesthetic and surgery required
- The Surgery should last less than one hour
- Any discomfort felt after surgery is comparable to how you might feel after heavy chest exercise using weights
- The minimum recommended age for this surgery is 18 years old
- Post-operative care is simple and the main requirement is for the patient to wear a compression garment for 2-3 weeks after the procedure
- Some bruising and oedema might be experienced in the few days following surgery
- The result should be visible after three weeks, with the full and final outcome visible within 6 months
- Unless excessive weight is gained, the outcome is permanent
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the minimum age for male breast reduction (gynecomastia) surgeries?
We generally recommend waiting until 18 years of age for a gynecomastia surgery. Sometimes growing breast tissue that forms due to the hormonal fluctuations in the puberty period will regulate within a few years and growth in the breasts can pass accordingly.
What should be considered before undertakinkg male breast reduction (gynecomastia) surgery?
As with all surgical procedures generally, patients should avoid taking blood thinners, limit drinking alcohol and smoking as much as possible and ideally, stop all together in the last couple of days before the surgery.
What factors should be considered after a male breast reduction (gynecomastia) surgery?
When gynecomastia surgery is carried out using the liposuction method, a compression garment which surrounds the chest area will need to be worn for 2 to 3 weeks. In the first days after the operation, bruising and swelling due to oedema can be experienced in the chest area, which will disappear within a few weeks. Within about 3 weeks, the full result should be evident. The exact and final results will be visible in 3 to 6 months.
Are the results of male breast reduction surgery (gynecomastia) permanent?
The results of male breast reductionsurgery (gynecomastia) is permanent and since all the excess fat tissue is discharged, re-surgery is not generally necessary unless the patient gains excess weight.