“No need to hide your ears! No visible scars either.”
Ear Aesthetics technically known as Otoplasty are performed to realign or remodel the ear into a more aesthetically pleasing position or shape. It is a procedure that is typically carried out under sedation or local anaesthetic and usually takes 20-30 minutes to perform.
The surgery is carried out behind the ear so no scars are visible and the patient can return home on the same day. Day to day life can be resumed within 5 days.
Why do we need Otoplasty?
The most common surgery is to correct the angle between the ear and the head where the ears appear to be overly prominent. The ideal angle between the head and ear is 30-35 degrees and this procedure will aim to achieve the ideal angle.
A less common is surgery to reduce the size of the ear (Ear Reduction), this surgery is designed to eliminate size or shape issues by bringing the ear to a more aesthetically pleasing shape.
How long is the recovery time?
The patient will be able to return home on the same day as the surgery. Compression wraps are applied to both ears and the use of a sports headband is recommended for a few days after the wraps have been released in order to reduce the load and oedema on the sutures. It will also help to reduce swelling and prevent the sutures coming into contact with the pillow at night.
The patient should expect some swelling and redness in the 5 or so days following the procedure, but after this time expect to return to normal.
Guidelines for surgery
The following guidelines apply for all types of surgery
- Use of all blood thinners should be stopped (under guidance from Dr Tiryaki)
- Smoking should stop from the date of the operation until 10-14 days after the treatment. Any activities that will increase blood pressure should also be halted.
- You will be able to return home on the day of your surgery
- As the area of where the incisions are made is not visible there will be no visible scars from the procedure
- Hair can be washed once the compression wraps have been taken off, but a hairdryer should not be used for few days following the procedure
- Patients can begin walking after 2 weeks and return to regular exercise after 3 weeks
- The minimum age for this surgery is 6 years old once the ear has fully developed, there is no maximum age for this surgery
Frequently Asked Questions
As with all surgical procedures, it is necessary to avoid using blood thinners, limit alcohol consumption and smoking as much as possible before the operation and ideally stop altogether in the two days leading up to the surgery.
After ear aesthetics surgery, compression wraps are applied on both ears for two days and we recommend wearing a hair band or tennis headband for a few days after the wraps are released. Hair can be washed once the compression wraps come off. Patients can start walking two weeks after and regular exercise three weeks after the surgery. Patients should avoid using hairdryers for a few days following the operation.
Plastic surgery is generally not recommended for people under the age of 18, although prominent ear operations can be carried out as soon as children complete their ear development. External ear development in children is completed at 5 to 6 years old and the ear extends to its permanent size. Therefore, the minimum age for these operations is 5 to 6 years old. There are no maximum age limitations.
Since the operation is performed on the back part of the ear flap, no visible scars are seen.